Thursday, April 8, 2010

LEARNING WEEKEND

Two full days of learning ahead of me 7AM - 5PM Fri and Sat.....EXCITING

I am set with my igloo cooler filled to the brim with iced coffee
(for those of you that are aware of my narcoleptic tendencies)

This reminds me of a webinar that I was a part of a little over a year ago
Steven Griffiths: of Coaching Intelligence, the communication expert
He spoke about how everyone learns in different ways

It was only though that experience that I became aware that I just learn differently!
There were years of frustration growing up.
I didnt learn as "well" or as "easily" or as fast at my brother and sister
My body learned things very quickly and my brain caught up with me.
I also know that these reasons are why i am a dancer, and a physical being
Information could sink in and STAY in with physical teachings
not through reading for hours or memorization......that is something that i have worked on
and will always be a challenge for me

What Steven opened my eyes to, were the components that are involved in communication:
(I associate it with how I retain information/understand situations)

We receive information from the world around us through all of our senses: sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell. We interpret and represent this information in our mind via a combination of sensory systems and inner dialogue. At some point in our development, one of our senses takes over and becomes our primary one. It becomes our primary mode for best taking in information and for creating meaning out of our

experiences.


Human beings process information in one of four styles: Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic, and Digital. While we continue to use all four communication styles interchangeably, one emerges as our primary style. It is our way of coding our experiences. By identifying communication styles, we can communicate with our clients in the most appropriate style that works for them. Listening to the words they use is one factor you can use to determine their style. The following is how to determine communication styles. Each style has specific word choices and voice tones.


V Visuals make meaning of their world by how things look or what they see. Visuals speak

more quickly, at a higher pitch, and with excitement.

Words they use: See, view, clear, imagine

Phrases: I get the picture; I see your point of view


A Auditorys make meaning of their world by how things sound or what they hear. They speak

in a pleasant, modulated voice.

Words they use: hear, tell, listen, and inquire

Phrases: It sounds good to me, Let’s talk it over

K Kinesthetics make meaning of their world by how they feel. Kinesthetics usually have a

low-pitched voice and speak slowly, with long pauses.

Words they use: feel, grasp, handle, and touch

Phrases: I have gut feeling, Let me get a handle on this

D Digitals process things in their head and make meaning of their world by their internal

dialogue. They usually speak in a monotone with little tone or volume change.

Words they use: Think, understand, process, consider, logic

Phrases: Let me think about it, understand your point

When responding to a client, customer or colleague, listen to their style. If a Visual client says:

“I can’t picture this clearly” you might respond with: “Let me show you.” A Digital client says:

“I don’t understand.” You might say: “I want you to think about these steps.”

All language is an attempt to persuade someone. By speaking your client’s language, you

decrease communication time, increase the quality of your relationship, and motivate your client

for results. By using your client’s language style, you will create trust and rapport that creates

results.


how do you communicate? it will help you figure out which way is the best way for you to learn
now you can communicate better with clients, family & friends
Please try....if even for just a day
See if your results change




2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Anthony Robbins' books? 1)Unlimited Power or 2)Awaken the Giant Within. Fantastic books that really transformed my life. I'll give you a copy if you like. He talks about how we learn through different senses? I read this book over 15 years ago and still apply what I learned from his books almost daily.

    ReplyDelete