Friday, February 20, 2015

OATS in or OUT?


During my years baking gluten free,
my favorite grain alternative has always been oat flour.
It has a very similar texture to regular flour, that fluffiness without the nutty taste of the other options.

Recently, I have been noticing a similar reaction to the oats, that my tummy has to GLUTEN.

Research shows that traditionally oats are not allowed
 in a gluten free diet for those with Celiacs. 
Though oats contain a different type of protein 
than wheat, rye & barley called, AVENIN 
making it digestible for those with a gluten entollerance.
You can get GLUTEN FREE oats from the super market.
Most people that are "Gluten Free" these days aren't necessarily suffering from Celiacs.

The difference between being gluten free & having Celiacs is that the Celiacs' response is autoimmune. Most people that take gluten out have a digestive issue.

Canadian Celiac Association’s professional advisory board has developed a position statement on using pure, uncontaminated oats. It says that adults with celiac can safely consume half to three-quarters of a cup (50 to 70 grams) of dry rolled oats per day. For children, it’s one-quarter cup (20 to 25 grams) per day.

Since I know I do have an autoimmune disorder, I am sure I need to limit my intake.
What do I do for all my ALPHA SWEETS that i make with oats & oat flours?
Back to the drawing board.........


The picture shown above was an experiment of my favorite 
PUMPKIN DRIED CHERRY COOKIE sans OATS.
I subbed the oat flour for rice flour
and added quick oats at half the amount of the rolled oats.

The results were: a difference in texture (to be expected), 
they required a longer bake time, almost double
& they where much more crumbly.
AND NO BAD REACTION FOR MOI!

The solution: offering this option as a different cookie, it is more crunchy and delicious.
Refrigeration after cooling helped the cookie stay together.
This is a VEGAN cookie option, so I will offer a NON VEGAN option by adding eggs 
to  make them stickier!

*EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON WHO IS CONSUMING THESE LOVELY LITTLE DELIGHTS. ALPHA SWEETS ARE MADE PER ORDER, JUST HOW YOU LIKE EM!

Always freed food labels if you have allergies &ask questions!  





1 comment:


  1. You can actually handle all of your skin care needs each day while you are in the shower! The most essential components: washing your skin, cleaning your pores, and applying moisturizer; can all be accomplished during that same time-frame. Get your skin cared for without ever wasting a moment of the day. Play Bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete